Thursday, March 30, 2006

"The Money Pit"


I think most of us have seen the movie, "The Money Pit". If I'm not mistaken, it stars Tom Hanks. This the movie about a young couple who remodel an old home and find it takes more money than they ever dreamed possible. As Keith and I work on the new cabin I am starting to see us following their footsteps! Who ever dreamed something as small as this cabin is going to be could eat up so much money????
If you'll all remember, we started this little cabin because we had picked up wood at such a good price. Well, once Keith got the foundation there was no turning back. First it was the weather....You can't have a house sitting "open" to the elements. That meant we had to buy everything to get it enclosed. From there it was a like a ball rolling...Fifty dollars here, one hundred dollar there. As of Tuesday we were up to $2,000!!!!!
We are now at a point where we can sit back and say, "The rest is going to wait". No more buying high priced wood. From now on we are back to our shoe-string budget...Buying things here and there and using them as needed. There are still things that need to be done to the outside (The soffits around the tin roof, a new storm door, a porch, ect..) but they are things we will find that are within our budget.
Of course it kills me to walk in the house and see it not done but my family has to eat too. So, we will continue to buy things as we find them and before we know it, it will all be done and I'll be decorating it the way I want.
So, the next time you see "The Money Pit", remember to tell all your friends, "Oh yeah, I have a friend who can relate to that!" Hugs, Sher

No comments:

About Me

These stories are dedicated to the loving memories of my childhood on the family farm and to my life on our farm. May my children always know how Blessed I've been.